All You Need to Know When Getting a Gym Membership in Singapore – Cost and More (2020 Update)
One of the most common New Year resolutions people have is to get fit, lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. However, I am sure that many of us are guilty for not sticking to this resolution and truth to be told, many people fall off the bandwagon by the end of the first month.
Nonetheless, we all understand the importance of exercising and keeping a healthy lifestyle. One of the best ways to stay committed to your goal for better health is by investing some of your hard-earned cash in it. And that is to get a gym membership.
Benefits of Having a Gym Membership
Today, people in Singapore are more concerned about making money than they are about taking care of their health. Numerous Singaporeans toil endlessly at work, neglecting their health, only to receive a broken body bundled with illnesses at the end or even in the midst of their careers. If you’re thinking of investing in a gym membership, you should be congratulated for taking better care of yourself.
Some gyms in Singapore allow users to pay per visit (such as ActiveSG or Gymmboxx), but they also provide gym memberships and packages. There are many benefits of joining a gym.
1. Your health will improve.
A gym membership will give you access to a balanced plan for strength and aerobic training. Exercising will help you to lose weight, and therefore reduce the risk associated with cardiovascular diseases. It will also improve your respiratory system and strength. Exercising regularly will help you reduce the risks of developing depression, Type 2 Diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, high blood pressure, as well as stress-related illnesses. All these are the top health issues in Singapore in recent years.
2. You’ll gain access to great equipment.
If you have tried to do cardio or exercises that require weights on your own at home, you will understand that good gym equipment don’t come cheap. Having a gym membership gives you access to equipment that you probably wouldn’t be able to afford on your own. Gyms have a wide array of equipment to help you target different parts of the body or engage in different exercises. You can keep your exercise routine fresh and exciting to encourage you to remain committed.
3. Access to expertise.
You’ll enjoy the benefit of expert guidance when you join a gym. At the gyms, there will be experienced and professional personal trainers who are certified in various fields of exercise. They are trained and will guide and help you achieve your fitness goals. What’s more, the advice they provide usually hits the bull’s eye and they keep you safe and motivated. Many people have attained injuries at the gym due to improper usage of equipment and having a professional with you can prevent that. You are there to improve your body, not worsen it. Plus, if you’re completely new to working out, they will provide you with the right tools and direction to kick-start your fitness journey.
4. Motivation and discipline.
Exercising and sticking to your health and fitness goals can be difficult. Although many people think of the physical struggle, most of the work is actually mental. As they always say, mind over matter. It is all about having enough motivation and discipline in order to meet your goals. Going to the gym can help you win the mental struggle in many ways including:
- Meeting with like-minded people who can help to keep you accountable. If possible, find a gym buddy who can motivated and train with you.
- Signing up for classes to keep you committed and you will feel complied to attend the sessions. Plus, you won’t want to skip any classes and waste your hard-earned money.
- Being able to focus on your workout and keep distractions such as phones, kids and guests away.
5. You will be able to relieve stress and clear you mind.
Going to the gym will not only improve your physical health, but better your mental health as well. With the high cost of living and the fast-paced lifestyles that most Singaporeans live, it is important to have a source to unload stress. With high levels of stress, depression or anxiety might not be far away from you. Exercising clears your mind and also helps you to improve your discipline and increase productivity.
6. Have the opportunity to make new friends and bond with family
Make friends at the gym and find like-minded people to join you in your journey to a healthier you. Exercises get easier and more fun when you have friends to motivate you. If you want to, you can gym with your family. Imagine running on the treadmill while your brother lifts weights. It becomes a bonding activity and family members can discuss and chat about their workout afterwards.
How to Choose a Gym Membership
Now that you’ve decided to join a gym, you have to find a gym membership that is suitable for you. There are various gym centers in Singapore. These gyms range from the no-frills simple gyms with basic equipment, to the spa-like gyms with high-tech equipment. When you start searching for a gym, you will find that you are spoilt for choice. The following tips will help you narrow down your choices and find the gym membership that suits you best.
Gym memberships come in a wide variety. It’s important to determine your needs upfront in order to choose a membership that will meet them. Some of the factors you should consider include:
- The cost: Just how much are you willing to spend on your gym membership? Singapore gyms usually offer membership on a fixed contract of a minimum of 12 months. If you take a contract that lasts longer, you will be most likely given a discount. However, you should keep in mind that these contracts are often difficult to transfer or terminate. Therefore, giving up your fitness regime midway could cost you a lot of money.
- Equipment: Are you interested in trying state-of-the-art equipment, or are you looking for something a little more basic? Do you want to focus on cardio or strength training? Do you prefer free weights or weight machines?
- Operating hours: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Do you prefer to work out over your lunch hour, on weekends or any time of the day or week? Check the opening hours to ensure that they can accommodate your needs.
- Location: Do you need a gym that is close to work or closer to home? Do you want a gym membership that allows you to access multiple locations?
- Classes: If you like group workouts, ensure that the gym offers classes such as aerobics, yoga or pilates. Workout classes are a great way to stay motivated and to meet like-minded people.
- Personal training: If you want professional expertise to guide you on your fitness journey, ensure that the gym offers personal training opportunities.
Popular Gym Memberships to Consider
Choosing a gym can be daunting. It can be hard to sift through all the marketing and get real information that will help you in making a decision such as costs.
We’ve done some digging for you and found some gym memberships you should consider, or that you may want to use as a reference point in making your decision.
- Locations: 26
- Fees: $300 for year-long membership or $1.50 per day for students and senior citizens, and $2.50 for adults.
- Opening hours: Differs for every outlet. You can check the timings here.
- Facilities: Free weights, cardiovascular machines, lockers and showers
- Locations: 52
- Fees: $98 per month
- Opening Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Facilities: Cardiovascular equipment, free weights, weight machines, trainers and coaches
- Locations: 6
- Fees: Beginning membership at $374.50 and subsequent quarterly payments of $128.40. More information on fees and promotions here.
- Opening hours: 6.30am to 10.30pm on weekdays, and 7am or 8am to 7pm or 8pm on weekends
- Facilities: Free weights, cardio machines, resistance training machines, weighted machines, towels and showers and steam rooms. Includes personal training services as well.
- Locations: 20
- Fees: $150 to $175 for a 12-months membership
- Opening hours: 6am to 10pm on weekdays. Hours on weekends vary for different outlets, you may check individual timings here.
- Facilities: Dynamic movement training, cardio training, group exercise, personal training, yoga, swimming pool and saunas at certain outlets.
- Locations: 8
- Fees: $89 per month for annual membership
- Opening hours: 6am to 11 pm
- Facilities: Sprint track, lounge, steam room
- Locations: 7
- Fees: $15 – $30 joining fee, $60 – $70 per month. Discounts are available for youths and seniors. $5 – $7 per entry.
- Opening hours: Mostly 24/7, but some opens at 8am and closes at 8pm or 11pm.
- Facilities: Good gym equipment and personal training
- Locations: 3
- Fees: $150 and above
- Opening hours: 6am to midnight from Mondays to Saturdays. 8am to 10 pm on Sundays.
- Facilities: Indoor running track, sauna, workout gear, fitness classes, zumba, yoga
- Locations: 5
- Fees: Starts from $49 to $65, depending on package
- Opening hours: 6.30am to 10.30pm on weekdays, 8am to 8pm on weekends except for Virgin Active Raffles Place which runs from 8am to 5pm on weekends.
- Facilities: Steam rooms, ice rooms, sleep pods, variety of yoga, aerobics, pilates and dance fitness classes.
Tips When Joining a Gym to Get the Best Experience
1. Make use of your citizenship benefits
In an effort to help its citizens take better care of their health, the Singaporean government instituted the ActiveSG program. This program pays Singaporeans and permanent residents $100 to sign up to a sports program or make use of a gym at various sports centers around Singapore. Sign up for the program to reduce the amount of money you part with from your pocket for your gym membership. You are being paid to workout.
2. Sign up for multi-gym passes
Different outlets of the same gym offer different benefits and facilities. If you want to take advantage of the different facilities available from the gym, sign up for a multi-gym pass. This will allow you to enter any of their outlets on a single membership.
3. Never sign up for lifetime membership
Lifetime membership is never a good idea no matter how great the deal seems. You will have to pay a renewal fee. If you forget to do so, you may lose your membership or be slapped with penalties. Things may get complicated if the gym closes or if they were to increase their fees and charges.
There are various options for gym memberships in Singapore. Each gym has their own unique set of facilities or courses. Take your time, identify your needs and select the gym that best suits you.
Best GymsCosts Of GymsEquipmentExerciseFitnessGymGym MembershipHealthLong Term MembershipPay Per EntryPay Per VisitPersonal TrainerStaying FitTrainingYogaZumba