Notwithstanding that the moneylenders are licensed, be mindful if they:
- Use abusive language, or behave in a threatening manner towards you.
- Ask for your SingPass user ID and/or password.
- Retain your NRIC card or any other personal ID documents (e.g. driver’s licence, passport, work permit, employment pass or ATM card).
- Ask you to sign on a blank or incomplete Note of Contract for the loan.
- Grant you a loan without giving you a copy of the Note of contract for the loan and/or without properly explaining to you all the terms and conditions.
- Grant you a loan without exercising due diligence (e.g. approving a loan over the phone, SMS or email before even receiving your loan application form and supporting documents, such as the income tax assessment and payslips).
- Withhold any part of your principal loan amount for any reason.
Such practices are not acceptable. If you encounter them, you should report the moneylender to the Registry of Moneylenders, with information such as the moneylender’s business name, licence and contact numbers. Please see Question 10 for more details.